Choosing the right assisted living for parents or grandparents is one of the most important decisions you may ever make. If you are just beginning your inquiries, it can be difficult to know how to find the best assisted living facilities near you. To help you along your search, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most important questions you’ll want to ask during your first visit.
What to Ask a Senior Living Facility
1. What Type of Safety Measures Do They Have in Place?
In any assisted living setting, safety is essential. Knowing that your loved one is taken care of at all times, and that their needs are being met, gives you a peace of mind like no other.
When visiting a community, pay attention to the bathrooms and ask yourself:
- Are they accessible?
- Do they have grab bars in the right places?
Next, ask the nurses how residents contact them if they need anything:
- Do they have pull cords in the rooms?
- Do residents wear pendants?
You may also want to find out if there are licensed nurses in the community 24 hours a day, and how they staff their building during the day versus the evening hours.
Don’t be afraid to ask specific questions about how the staff will care for your loved one’s specific needs. This is an important decision and the more you know, the better informed you are to make the best choice.
2. Are the Staff Members Friendly?
Pay attention to how the staff interacts with other residents. Are they making eye-contact and actually “present” in conversations? It is also a good idea to arrive prepared with questions for the management team. When planning your visit, ask to meet with them and take some time to get those questions answered.
3. What Type of Activities Do They Offer?
Before you plan your visit, review the senior living community’s online activity calendar and schedule a time during one of these events.
- Are there any activities listed that your loved one may be interested in?
- Is there a good balance of internal activities and outings away from the community?
- Are there any religious services?
4. What’s the Dining Experience Like?
The dining experience is very important. Most assisted living communities will allow you and your loved-ones to enjoy a meal free of charge, so take advantage of it!
- Do residents order off a menu or are their choices limited each day?
- Is it mandatory to eat in the dining room or can residents have meals delivered to their room?
- How many meals are served per day?
5. Ask Others for Referrals
Word of mouth is still one of the best ways to help you in your ongoing search for the right assisted living facility for your loved one.
Talk to others you may know who have loved ones living in the same retirement home you are visiting. If you know any current residents, stop by their rooms to pay them a friendly visit and find out what they personally think about the facility.
You can also ask your doctor for opinions, as your doctor may have referred patients there in the past.
In the end, trust your instincts. You’ll know the right senior living community when you find it.
Call Primrose Your New Home
If you are currently searching for a loved one, we’d be honored to help you learn more about our assisted living options, dedicated staff, and outstanding communities that always put all our residents’ care and needs first.
We can’t wait to welcome you!